Monday, March 22, 2010

The Great Vlogging Experiment

I recently took on the challenge of vlogging and blogging the International Family Film Festival. I’ve been experimenting with Vlogging of late, and I’m eager to explore it in all sort of variations. Within a few weeks of beginning my vlogging channel on YouTube (youtube.com/worldaccording to rich – please subscribe!), I bought a little camera called a Flip Ultra HD – a pretty nifty little point-and-shoot video camera that will make it possible to freely vlog wherever and however I want (as opposed to pulling out my professional equipment)

Armed with the cam, a monopod (tripod with one leg) to allow for steadier shots, a Twitter account for the film festival, and voice-to-text software on my Iphone to allow for easy blog updating, I ventured forth to the IFFF to social network it to the extreme.

Or so I thought!

First, my Flip died on the second day of the festival. I’m not sure why – buttons other than the basic power stopped responding – so I was forced to pull out my DV cam to continue documenting the experience. Pulling out that camera, I found, triggered by documentary instincts, so I really ended up recording the experience, rather than vlogging it as a personal experience. (incidentally, both Flip and Amazon came through for me once I had a chance to call customer service, and a replacement cam was in the mail even before I’d sent the other camera back).

Second, I realize now that social networking to this extent can be intense – particularly since I had intended on crossing over several platforms – there simply aren’t enough hours in the day to attend to the festival, vlog, blog and sleep!

On the positive side, the limited vlogging I did do proved to be useful – it provided recognition for me at the festival that I wouldn’t have had otherwise. Since I began vlogging a little over a month ago, I have found that it’s developed personal relationships with colleagues – people I really haven’t had a chance to work or socialize with are getting to know me on a personal level. I’m fascinated with the prospect of exploring the possibilities of this new tool in my arsenal…..

No comments: