Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Dorkiness Factor

When I was a kid, I had a favorite jacket - I knew it was spring when I could transition from my winter coat to my bright blue New York Mets jacket.  I probably wore it longer then necessary into summer just just to make sure I got the most out of it.   I don't think I ever had as much of an attachment to a jacket as I did when I was ten years old.   In fact, I can't remember any other jacket throughout my childhood.  I think I've always had the idea in the back of my mind that I'll get another jacket like that one day....

I also remember wanting what I called a "Lost In Space" shirt - mainly, a shirt with a V-neck.  Judging from some photos, I appear to have succeeded in fulfilling my desire.

I did have some ill-fated flirtations with various items - like a notorious month or so in junior high school with a pair of brown boots.  I consider that one of my "what was I thinking?" moments.  I don't even think it was possible to walk normally, but I insisted on my precious boots - until I woke up one morning and discovered the dorkiness factor.  I never put them on again - to the great relief of my friends, I suspect.   The middle school mind works in mysterious ways.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No wonder we are friends! I was as dorky as you, if not more so. I too had a favorite jacket. It was a cheap blue windbreaker from K-Mart that looked like a Dodgers Jacket (that would be the Los Angeles Dodgers, not Brooklin). I was getting quite upset when it started to wear out. I didn't know what I was going to do without it.

I also had a favorite shirt. It looked like a Star Trek shirt (at least to me it did). Junior High School feels safer if you feel just a little like Captain Kirk! - SR