Friday, February 06, 2009

Early Memories

My youngest nephew turned four in September.  That's the age, at least in my experience, that he's start storing memories that he'll remember for the rest of his life. Generally, memories at that age relate to extraordinary experiences - in my case, attending the World's Fair in New York. I was exposed to strange, unique environments, in the form of exotic architecture and rides (Disneyland's "Small World" attraction began life at the New York World's Fair - the experience was hypnotic, and stayed with me as I experienced the same ride in California eight years later.  There was a ferris wheel in the shape of a huge tire - I remembered that, too.  I had a recording of the narration for a ride about early man put on by Traveler's Insurance, so I remembered that, as well.  

It will be interesting to see what memories stick with my nephew years down the line - what's extraordinary to a four year old might not even earn a second glance with a grown-up!


No comments: