Friday, February 05, 2010

What do you DO with Social Networking, Anyway?

I’ve recently increased my interactivity with social networking. Though I’ve been using the traditional sites – Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc. – I haven’t really approached the landscape with an overall strategy reflecting my business and creative interests. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I listened to the audiobook version of “Crush it,” which is, generally speaking, about strategizing social networking to achieve professional objectives. There are many well-written business books out there, but I’m generally unfazed about how they fit into my overall objectives. This book, however, seemed to really provide a useful overview of how to use the environment that’s really become the DNA of our society. It’s not a step-by-step guide – everyone’s situation is different – but it’s a look at the philosophy of the developing social landscape.

I’ll be discussing in some detail how I’m applying this philosophy. Like everyone else, I’m learning as I go along. Technology and communication is changing so fast that I realize that I need to interact much more effectively.

One of my major new ventures in social networking is to begin vlogging – a video blog– and thus become part of the YouTube social environment. I’m still developing a style – I’ve only been doing this for a week – but this effort appeals to me as an opportunity to develop my interests as a documentary filmmaker. In fact, calling oneself a “filmmaker” is already archaic – film is rarely employed, and the very definition of “documentary” is developing beyond the linear structure of a set video presentation. The future documentary may very well be more an experience extending across platforms and interactive opportunities.

If you haven’t seen my vlog yet, take a look and tell me what you think! There’s so much to this process, and this world is so large, this seems like an exciting expedition that may never end!

No comments: