Sunday, December 11, 2005

My Band

I had this band in college...

I can't sing, or play music instruments (at least, not since 5th grade), but I had this band. My musical partner, who shared my vast talents, joined with me in our questionable pursuit, limited thankfully to a few parties and and a rarely distributed cassette tape. We also had backup. Together, we were the Sem and Craven! Band. I was Craven, he was Sem, his brother was "and" and another friend (who actually had some talent) was "!" . We weren't even good enough to be a garage band. We were more a corner of the bedroom band. Our concerts consisted of three events - a new years eve concert, a summer "super sixties celebration," and a birthday party (where the birthday boy got sick and missed our performance). We had a handful of fans that cheered us on (and I do mean a handful), and one additional fan more than a decade later.

We had songs of questionable taste, of course, with names like, "Feed Us, Fetus," "Pimp (L)" and "Baby: BOOM." We even created a music video (actually music film would be more accurate) entitled, "Tie It Tight!", about a kid from North Dakota who travels to a California beach and loses his bathing suit to the sea because he didn't tie it tight....

We spent endless hours recording our music, didn't rehearse for our concerts, destroyed one guitar and one maraca, and employed a single 1-amp amplifier. I suppose you could say we were the original legends in our own mind...

No comments: