Monday, February 18, 2008

Yoo-Hoo: The Conspiracy


Yoo-Hoo is a chocolate drink from my childhood. It's not chocolate milk or soda - it's in it's own special category.  It's mainly popular Back East - but you could find bottles of it at supermarkets or deli's, if you searched a bit. I don't think there's any food or drink I associate so closely with my New York childhood.  I remember drinking it on the beach on many a hot, humid summer. To some people, it's an acquired taste, but to me, it's an elixir.

I'm not sure why, but Yoo-Hoo seems to disappearing from Western shelves - it's now available only in those little drink boxes.  Bad marketing, I guess.  OR, maybe there's a run on the California inventory. Perhaps a California multi-millionaire with New York roots is buying up the stock, hoarding it for his own use.  I'll begin an investigation into some possible candidates.

I've been checking supermarket store shelves - but I've only found those boxes, in the local Ralphs.  There's something going on here - something sinister.
I've just sent an email to Yoo-Hoo.  

I'll report back with the results.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a "Westerner" born and bread, I've never tried a "Yoo-Hoo", neither have I tried a Grape NeeHigh. Certain parts of Eastern Culture just never made it out here I suppose. Then again, certain Southern delicacies like Possum aren't eaten here either. Oh well.

SR.